We're starting the serious house hunt now. I've been lurking online for months and trying to read up on the process as much as I can. That evolved into doing "drive bys" to check out the neighborhoods of our top contenders. We've already found a couple we're interested in and many that we're NOT!
If you're selling a house, or may someday sell a house, listen up!
Some of the factors (other than size or # of bedrooms or bathrooms) that will get you immediately disqualified or at least move you to the bottom of my house-hunting list:
1. Less-than-stellar neighborhood: If 3 out of 4 of your neighbors have broken-down vehicles rotting in their front yards, you're getting skipped.
2. OK location, but there's a huge metal building blocking your entire yard from the sun and blocking your view of the mountains? Next!
3. Dirt road to your house. I know I live in South Dakota, but c'mon. The little Sentra doesn't take kindly to gravel.
4. If your ad says "gorgeous yard" and all you have is about 10 square feet of grass next to your house, you are guilty of false advertising.
and the last item that will get you immediately axed from our "to-investigate-further" list ...
5. Windows with plywood instead of glass panes. Sorry, but I like glass in my windows. Crazy, I know.
If you'd like any further advice from a first-time house buyer, let me know.
If you have any advice FOR a first-time house buyer, let me know that, too.
3 comments:
This reads much like a typical Digg.com blog article. If I new you would see the traffic increase, I'd Digg it... but you don't have traffic tracking software, so I guess it's a moot-point.
The previous post was mine. It needed editing.
If you walk in and it smells like pee (cat or otherwise) just walk back out the door. No need to look further.
It's ok to go up to the next price range - you have to do what you have to do.
Have fun looking at all the personal pics, I always got a kick out of that. When we sell this house, all the crap is coming down, that is for sure!!!!
Post a Comment