Sunday, April 18, 2010

I missed it!

I fed Luke some rice cereal tonight and he ate most of it. I can't believe how fast he's growing!

Case in point: After cleaning said rice cereal off of his hands, clothes and face, I set him down on his stomach on a blanket on the living room floor with some toys for him to play with. I went to take the cereal bowl and spoon to put them in the dishwasher and wipe off the table. When I turned around to check on Luke, he was on his back next to the blanket I put him on! He had a big grin on his face, too.

I was so confused for a minute. Did I put him on his back? Did he scoot himself off the blanket, which he's been known to do?

No, I'm 100% sure he was on his belly when I left him, which I did on purpose in case he needed to burp or spit up and I didn't see it right away.

So the sneaky little bugger rolled over for what I'm pretty sure was his first time, and I missed it. Brian was at work, so he missed it, too!
I called Brian to tell him the news, and he said to get the camera ready in case he did it again so I could get it on video.

Did Luke do it again? Nope.
Well, he came close, but he must've been too tired to show off again.

I'm bummed I missed it, but it confirms that, for me, working full-time is OK.
Why do I come to that conclusion? Well, of course I enjoy doing a job that fulfills me, that I'm good at and that allows me to help provide financially for my family.
And the time away from the baby allows me to enjoy my time with him so much more.

But the worries of working full time and missing many of Luke's firsts that may happen under Brian's watch or at day care have now been extinguished. Because I was at home alone with the baby when this "first" happened. Even if I was a stay-at-home mom, I couldn't possibly have my eyes on him 24/7. We would be sleeping, or I would be washing dishes with my back turned, or in the bathroom, etc.

Even a stay-at-home mom might miss some of the "firsts."

And there will always be "seconds" and "thirds" that I will get to witness that will be "firsts" for me!

Just don't do it again without me, Luke. Please?

No comments: