Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spelling? Ah, who cares?

Well, I for one, do. And I know my fellow editors do.
But apparently, some funeral homes and even family members do not.
There were two instances of spelling errors in obituaries we received today to run in tomorrow's paper. Being the good editors and journalists we are, we aimed to clarify and correct the misspellings, because the last thing you want to do in obituaries is be wrong. And you definitely don't want to misspell the deceased's name!
However, those standards must be terribly high because one exchange went like this:
(Phone call 1)
Editor: Hello, we have an obituary with the deceased's name spelled two different ways. Can you help us make sure we have the correct spelling?
Funeral home: Sure. Who's the obituary for?
(editor gives name)
FH: Oh, well that's a free obit, not a paid one.
Editor: Well, we still want to get the spelling right.
FH:Well, it's a free obit, so they're not paying for it.
Editor: We have it spelled (this way) and (that way), which is correct?
FH: The second one.
Editor: Thank you.

And the second phone call for a different obituary:
Editor: Hello, I noticed we have a few different spellings for your uncle's name. We want to make sure we use the right one. Can you tell us the correct spelling, please?
Family member who refuses to let funeral home work directly with us: Which spellings do you have?
Editor: (this one), (that one) and (a third one)
Family member: I think it's the second one.
Editor: Are you sure? Is there someone you can check with? We want to make sure we have his name right.
Family member: Yes, the second one. It's close enough.
(Editor hangs up and promptly calls that family member's grieving mother, asking for the correct information)

I think we've finally stopped slamming our heads against the wall after those calls.

No comments: