Saturday, March 8, 2008

We're skiers, not snowboarders

While I'm on a blog kick -- woohoo! -- I realized I forgot to write about the other thing that we did in the past month: ski!
I've been skiing a little bit off and on since I was 10. I remember being very frustrated the first day, learning from Austrians whose English knowledge included little more than "snowplow!" and "Like so."
Brian had never been snow skiing. However, he has been surfing, skateboarding and water skiing, so we both thought for sure he'd take to snowboarding without much trouble. (I have tried snowboarding two or three times and I'm just NOT getting the hang of it. )
Our first day at Deer Mountain, we rented snowboards and did our darndest to try to stand on them. We only succeeded a couple times in two hours for a few feet. Frustrated, I traded my snowboard in for skis to take a couple runs before we left exhausted for the day.
On my second run, I saw Brian coming out of the lodge with skis, too. And wouldn't you know it, he took to skiing like a fish -- or waterskier -- to water.
I was so impressed that he didn't let the snowboarding debacle derail his winter fun. Dude was flying down the bunny slope without so much as a lesson. I was a bit annoyed, honestly. Impressed and annoyed. It took me almost a week to get to where he was on day 1.
Of course, he is still learning the differences between water and snow skiing, such as turning, stopping and leaning forward, not backward. But he had a great time.
And I'm very excited about it, because now I have a ski buddy!

No comments: